Friday, January 20, 2012

Thinking outside the lines...

Hello my lovelies!

It's a nasty snowy day today. I hate snow. Any amount is too much for me. Yes, I realize living in New England it's one of those things I have no choice but to deal with. I get that. I understand that if I wanted to have a life without snow, I should live down south. But south comes with tornadoes and hurricanes and floods and when there is snow or a freeze, people there go even more stupid than those in New England. Plus... there's creepy crawly gross things further south that ... I just do not want to deal with. So, New England it is. And snowy winters. *heavy sigh*

So for fun, I decided I wanted to be crafty and follow this tutorial  over at Morning by Morning Productions and attempt to make this little guy:



I copied the pattern she had on the blog and did a little free hand. I grabbed some old fabric and tossed it on the sewing machine to be sure that it would turn out looking okay and this is what I got- Looked pretty okay!





So I got out my new fabric and completely unintentional, I had almost the same exact pattern as in the tutorial!

Here we are in progress...

Everything looks great, right? I threw in tons of extra stitches to make sure they would stay put!





I started turning things outside in/inside out and... those MUCH quicker than I probably see where I am going with this... more than likely saw where this was going after the first photo.
Yes, genius me put the ribbons on the INSIDE! And I did such an EXCELLENT job with making sure they were well secured (okay actually I was battling the sewing machine which honestly I don't have the best grasp on and it made quite the mess as anyone who is familiar with the machines can see) I set about with my seam ripper but I really just ended up frustrating myself and making a huge mess!

After more time than I wish I had expended, I gave up, cut out a new shell and
TAHDAH!!!!


My first lil whale. He's quite lumpy and his eye is placed more like a belly button but ... I think it gives it ... character.
Yeah, let's call it character!

This... character filled little guy will be going to my co-worker as a gift for her first baby. Unless I make another one that comes out better...

Till next time!!
Jamie


I'm linking this up to:



Weekend Bloggy Reading
Home Stories A2Z

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post! Such a cute idea! I'm having a linky party as well, and would love for you to join it! Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-s... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! I will certainly join your link party! Thanks for checking it out :)
      -Jamie

      Delete