Friday, January 27, 2012

Honey Puff

Hello lovelies,
I thought I'd share one of my family favorite recipes with you today- Honey Puff Pancakes!
This is my dad's speciality that his mom taught him which she insists she found in a magazine (Good Housekeeping or something along those lines) We kids insist on Dad making it for special occasions and for many years it was a staple for Christmas morning breakfast (when we were little, before adulthood hit and some of us had to work Christmas morning)




Honey Puff Pancakes
1 c. milk
1c. flour
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. bak­ing powder
3 oz cream cheese (although I use a whole 4 oz brick)
3Tbsp but­ter

Preheat oven to 400. In blender, blend all ingredients EXCEPT the butter. In cast iron skillet, use 2 tb butter to coat. Place remaining 1 tb butter in bottom of skillet and place in heated oven until butter sizzles. Remove skillet from the oven and immediately pour the mixture into the sizzling skillet. Return to oven and bake 25 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. 


 I emphasize the 'EXCEPT the butter' part because EVERY TIME I make this -- I add the 3 tbsp of butter into the mixing bowl... (because I'm horrible with reading directions ahead of time and I know that this recipe is dump everything in a bowl and then blend)

If puffs up like a souffle when you take it out of the oven:






It's great as breakfast/dinner with syrup and eaten like any ol' pancake. Or you can put some ice cream on it and eat it as a desert!! Tonight, I went simple with strawberries and sauce :)

Doesn't that look delic!!


I hope you'll try it! If you do, leave me a message and let me know what you think!!

-Jamie

2 comments:

  1. Honey = Teh hurl. Childhood trauma, long story.

    I'll bet it would be good with golden syrup though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. if it helps, you don't taste the honey so much as all the luscious delicious uber super yum cream cheese. Well, you do taste some honey but you don't bite into it and say 'wow this is real... honey-y!'
    It's great with syrup on it (that's my default)

    ReplyDelete