Sunday, August 21, 2011

Egg on your face

Hello my lovely lil duckies, 

I was at my local grocery store (which I'm thinking I may no longer frequent due to several recent issues such as many many many MANY expired foods inadvertently purchased. YES I realize I should have checked the expiration dates on the items when I put them in my basket but I wasn't expecting for nearly everything in my basket to be expired... some by several MONTHS!!!) I wanted to pick up a carton of eggs and ... 



the egg section was TWICE the size of what's shown in this photo and Every Single Carton was brown eggs. Not a single carton contained white eggs. This wasn't the first time this had happened at this store. Nor was it the second or third. 

Now, I consider myself usually a relatively intelligent woman. Relatively. I know there's no difference between brown and white, in the end. I even did some quick research on the innerwebs before posting this entry to be sure I had info to back myself up and indeed: 

According to this, "White shelled eggs are produced by hens with white feathers and ear lobes. Brown shelled eggs are produced by hens with red feathers and red ear lobes. There is no difference in taste or nutrition between white and brown eggs." ..."They simply come from two different breeds of chickens. Brown eggs, however, are more expensive because the chickens that lay them eat more than those that lay white eggs."


First thought: Hens have earlobes???
Second: Which do you prefer? Brown eggs or White? I've always bought white because that's what Mom always bought. And yes, I left the store without eggs. 


THIS is my kinda brown shelled egg. Mmmmmm 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know if there was a difference or not! Brown eggs are just....odd so I never bought them. I'm so sheltered. Those other brown eggs you speak of in preference? Too sweet for me, unless I get the itty bitty ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Amy... I'll stand by your side and take the big too sweet ones for you. Because I care.

    ReplyDelete